Welcome!

Thursday, May 20, 2010

WE CROSSED THE POND, AND TOOK OFF OUR HATS

The first thing that we noticed about leaving Montana is that NOT EVERYONE wears baseball hats to travel. And, people come in different colors. Pretty exciting stuff.

We arrived in Switzerland early this morning, tired and happy. Greeted by Michael`s parents with smiles and a quick car ride to their beautiful home, I was able to let go of being in charge, if for a bit.

Of course, now is when I will begin to regret all the years before me when I was not studying a language. People around the world really do speak more than one language, and do so well. I, on the other hand, have mastered the art of head-bobbing and super-smiling, hoping that my nice demeanor will make up for my lack of skills. Being abroad again makes me feel so committed to having the kids learn another language well -- the trick, I think, is to send them over here when puberty hits. Nothing like an amorous relationship at 16 to kick start language fluency. I KNOW I AM RIGHT ON THIS.

And here I am, out of my confort zone at every turn. Even this computer is with a Europen keyboard, which means that I can type é and ö and ä and à without even thinking about it. Now, if I could just figure out what all of these fun letters MEAN.

Off to get some sleep and figure out how to upload some pictures tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. You didn't bring your laptop???

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad you made it! never underestimate your beautiful smile and timeless sex appeal....you certainly could have brought more than 3 bags and not had to lift a finger!! just sayin' :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have my laptop but the password here to access the internet is requires one of these ¨ doo hickies, and we can`t get our computer to do it right. Ahhg!

    Thanks, Hallie. That`s why you will be sunning at the CC come June!

    ReplyDelete