Welcome!

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

We are here!





After a harrowing drive through Switzerland and some of Italy, we made it "home". On the road down into the Lake Garda region, Maddy threw up three times in the car, but we could not stop because there was no space to pull over. Nothing like being nine and holding a plastic bag filled with your own puke while your Dad zooms around skinny corners trying to keep the family alive while driving in Italy [he did great]. Perhaps not the European experience I was going for for her, but an experience, no doubt.

Our apartment sits on the lake, and is perfectly Italian. Painted frescos, old [300 year old] wood beams, tiled floor, and antique furniture. We are renting it from a kind older man with four kids, so he has set me up with a crib and high chair...and lots of smiles. It's so lovely to feel so welcome. We share the villa with other touristas, and it seems most meet in the villa's common garden for a drink and light supper in the evening. There were a number of German children running around the garden when we arrived, so I feel hopeful the kids might make a few friends -- they will learn a few words of German in Italy!

The kids are fascinated by the bidet in the bathrooms, and all have [of course] washed their butts clean. Rachel took a bath in one this morning since there is no bathrub.

Last night -- our first night in our Italian home -- we decided we had to have pizza. Off we went...and the pizza was made by a Chinese man and we were served by a Chinese woman! They were very lovely, and the pizza was good...Michael and Maddy tried out their Chinese words on them.

Perhaps the Chinese parents will also have a hard time getting used to Italian babyfood. Today, as I looked for some options for Rachel at the supermarket, I could choose from jarred trout, goat, or rabbit! They even have the pictures of the animals on the jar. It's sort of mind blowing, but suggests these kids probably have some pretty sophisticated tastes by the time they are three. I am tempted to give one of these jars a try and see if Rachel will enjoy a little rabibit. Now, the trick will be to find a nice bambino chianti.

7 comments:

  1. If I learn how to post a comment I shall. I love your blogs. Very funny. Newsy and interesting. Lots of great information. Love the picnic in the laundry room, the kids with the bidet, etc. etc. Keep it coming. It's so enjoyable.
    Love,
    Den and Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember being fascinated by the bidet too...and I was 15. So it sounds like Mike is turning into Mario Andretti.

    I am curious about the baby food. If Rachel doesn't want to eat bunnies, I can send one of those hand held baby food grinders.
    XO
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would do anything to be there to help...haha! But you seem to be surviving! I love the pictures, Rachel already looks so much bigger :( Poor Maddy, I highly doubt she will even remember that part in the seven weeks though. So glad you are doing the blog, I would be lost without it. Tell the fam "hi". Loves!
    ~Janelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Daphne-
    I just, and finally, read through your posts to date. So delightful. We missed your family on the 2/3 field trip to Ravenwood! My kids were fascinated by the toilets in Tokyo too--a warm water rinse and warm seat to boot. Who wouldn't like that? Can't wait to hear more about how your stay in Italy unfolds. Ciao for now!

    Dori

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not sure if I have a vote but....how about NOT rabbit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. daph-you express the feeling of family in a beautiful way the kids are very adaptable yet as allie shows still just kids finding ways to keep it together in A NEW ENVIONMENT I'm sure they charm all--a time to treasure. den

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everyone except for Rachie will probably look back at this summer as a special time in life. That will be part of another type of "what if" game. Love the photos that you are posting with the blogs.Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete