Welcome!

Friday, June 25, 2010

Baccini [little kisses]







"You know what's wrong about Italy?" Maddy asked.
"What?"
"Nothing."

I keep thinking of my conversation with Madeline, and as I try to come up with things that are "wrong" with Italy, I just can't. I love it here. I love the food, the landscapes, the regionalities, the history, and most of all, the people. The way the people look [mostly, all like Michael's cousins, which is great for me] and are: polite, cheerful, kind. I am sure if I stayed here, things would change a little; surely, the rose colored glasses would fade. Like all first-blush love, it's easy to look past the not-so-goods, when you are so in love with the rest. Would the crazy driving get to me? Would the inefficiencies eventually send me screaming? Do foods need to expand past fruit, some vegetables, bread, pasta, cheese, sauce, rice, ham, and chicken [for the most part]? These problems now seem like surmountable objections.

Yesterday we came back from a three day trip to a little town near the Italian/Slovenian boarder. We stayed at an agritourism apartment, where the owner of the place -- the same lovely gentleman who owns the place on Lake Garda--runs a vinyard and farms land that produces corn and kiwis. It was staggering in its natural beauty: huge, imposing mountains, lush, productive land, and clear streams. The whole place is gorgeous and livable, even for a country girl. Americans obviously do not venture into the area often, as we were met with quite a bit of curiosity. The people, too, were a little different from some of the other regions: these Italians seemed [to me, anyway] a little more reserved, a little more proper...it's as if the air from the neighboring Germanic countries came and changed these Italians a bit. But not too much: we were met with the same kindness and humor that I have come to expect in Italy. Our experience in the region sealed the deal for me: I fell, all in, for Italy.

So, I plead: Couldn't we just stay here, learn the language, and be Italian?

OK, of course not. Michael has a perfect job for him. So do I. And we have a life, family, friends, and home we love back in Montana. But today, I get to emote. Today is our last day here; tomorrow, we leave for Switzerland for 10 days where we will have a different sort of adventure up in the Alps [and no internet connection].

So goodbye, Italy. Or better: until again.

No comments:

Post a Comment